Friday, August 10, 2018

10 MOVIES THAT I LIKE BUT EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO HATE



Call it "bad taste". Call them "guilty pleasures". Whatever the reason, we all have those movies that we enjoy but that bombed with critics, audiences, or both. So, I've complied a list of 10 critical and/or commercial flops that, even though I recognize their faults, I enjoy.


#10 The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009)
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 40%
IMDB Score: 6.0/10
-This movie completely cracks me up every time I watch it. I'll be the first to admit that its crass, immature, occasionally nonsensical humor is not for everyone. However, anytime I show it to someone that I think may like it, they act like I've lost my mind. 


 #9 Last Action Hero (1993)
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 34%
IMDB Score: 6.8/10
-This isn't one of Arnold Schwartzenegger's best movies, but it's not his worst either. I like the concept and think it's a fun movie overall. Plus, the film has an awesome soundtrack.


#8 Chappie (2015)
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 32%
IMDB Score: 6.8/10
-I was actually surprised most people didn't like this one. I walked out of the theater pretty pleased with the film and that opinion hasn't changed after multiple viewings. I genuinely like it better than Neil Blomkamp's other, more well-received, films.



#7 Swordfish (2001)
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 26%
IMDB Score: 6.5/10
-Boasting a cast of Hugh Jackman, John Travolta, and Halle Berry is enough to make this a worthwhile watch. Yeah, Travolta is hamming it up a bit too much but that kinda adds to the film in my opinion.


#6 Sucker Punch (2011)
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 23%
IMDB Score: 6.1/10
-The big criticism I always hear about this film is that it's all style and no substance. That's mostly true, but some of the visuals are pretty cool and sometimes that's all I need. Occasionally while writing this blog, I put Sucker Punch on just as something I can glance over at for a few moments.


#5 Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 20%
IMDB Score: 5.8/10
-It's a big, dumb, cheesy movie and I get a kick out of it. Far too often people try to make serious movie adaptations of video games, but this film knows what it is and embraces it.



#4 City Heat (1984)
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 20%
IMDB Score: 5.5/10
-It's a crime-comedy set in the 1930's, starring Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds. I don't care if critics hated it, this is right up my alley.



#3 The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 17%
IMDB Score: 5.8/10
- "I'm waiting to be impressed." It's not only a line Sean Connery says in the movie, but also what general audiences were uttering about half way through the film. Sure the plot is thin and the characters are underdeveloped, but I had fun with it.


#2 The Mummy (2017) 
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 15% 
IMDB Score: 5.5/10
-It was supposed to be the first film in a cinematic universe, but instead it doomed the whole thing. The main criticism is that they focused too much on setting up future movies that they forgot to make this one good. However, maybe it's because I like Mummy movies, or because I'm a Tom Cruise fan, or because I'm just an idiot, or perhaps some combination of all those things, but I really like this movie.



#1 RoboCop 3 (1993)
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 3%
IMDB Score: 4.0/10
-I can't argue that this is a good movie but, it's not that bad. No, it didn't live up to the previous two films and yes, it was a box office flop. However, there are some positives; Officer Anne Lewis' death is a bit of a gut-punch and an effective, emotional moment. Also, the film does follow up on the events from the previous films and, though it isn't the most compelling story, at least they tried. Plus, there are robot ninjas and Robocop gets a jetpack.





1 comment:

  1. Swordfish is one of my favorite movies...so as usual the critics are WRONG!!!! I also really liked The Last Action Hero & liked League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I think The Mummy sucked, but I'll have to check out the others.

    ReplyDelete