Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The Greatest Showman (2017)


The Greatest Showman is a new musical to hit theaters, and is inspired by the life of P.T. Barnum.
With a strong cast consisting of Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Michelle Williams and Zendaya just to name a few, I was pretty excited going into this one. Now, if you go into this expecting a fairly accurate biopic about P.T. Barnum then you need to know that this is not that. Its a big, glitzy, crowd-pleaser, with a lot of heart.

At approximately 1hr 45mins the film moves along at a brisk but satisfying pace. It's well directed, well acted (for the most part), and has a captivating plot. The only knock on the film is that there is one particular song and dance sequence in the middle of the film that felt a bit shoehorned in and I didn't feel like it added anything to the film. 
Overall, is this the best musical of all-time? No, but it is fun, a few of the songs are pretty catchy, and Hugh Jackman is fantastic.
I enjoyed it and, though I can foresee this one getting some mixed reactions from audiences, I recommend it.
I give it a 4.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment