Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Ranking The Pixar Films


For over 20 years Pixar animation has been making films that are fun for the whole family. The most recent addition to the Pixar library, ' Toy Story 4', was just recently released and I thought it would be fun to take a look back at all these films for an overall ranking. I have done with the Marvel Cinematic Universe films (to check out that list click here). I update those rankings after each new film comes out and I plan on doing the same with this one. As with my Marvel rankings, this is just how I see the films when I compare characters, story, and overall rewatchability. I'm only going to be ranking the major theatrical releases, no animated shorts or direct to DVD movies.

#21 The Good Dinosaur (2015) 

One of these had to be the worst and I found this film thoroughly unenjoyable.


#20 Cars 2 (2011)

Barely escaping the bottom spot on this list is the dumb, misguided 'Cars 2'. If you haven't seen it, don't bother.


#19 Finding Dory (2016) 

It all worked in 'Finding Nemo' but this entry felt stale and about 10yrs too late.


#18 Ratatouille (2007)

This is odd one in that, though it's not a bad film, it's just forgettable. I often don't even remember that it's a Pixar movie.


#17 Cars 3 (2017)

I wrote a whole review on this one that you can check out here. In short, it's fine. Some good animation and a laugh or two, but nothing special.


#16 Inside Out (2015)

A lot of people fell in love with this one, so maybe its just me, but I thought this one was really underwhelming. The voice acting is solid and I like the concept, it just didn't work for me.

 
#15 A Bugs Life (1998)

It's a cute, entertaining movie. It's not amazing but I enjoyed it when it came out and it still holds up ok.


#14 Up (2009)

This was a hard one to rank because it starts out really strong. Unfortunately, for the most part the film is just average with a decent moment or two scattered throughout.

 
#13 Brave (2012) 

I'm not going to rave that this is an excellent film, but I do think it's a bit underrated by most.


#12 Monsters University (2013) 

This one is a mixed-bag. It's not nearly as good as 'Monsters Inc.' but there's still some funny moments and I like all of the characters.
 

#11 Cars (2006) 

Unlike it's two sequels, I actually do like the first 'Cars' film. I've rewatched it a few times and always enjoy it.


#10 Toy Story 2 (1999) 


This one, in my opinion, is the weakest of the 'Toy Story' films. However, it's still a real good movie. 
 
#9 The Incredibles (2004)

Pixar's attempt at a superhero movie ended up being one of their better ones.

#8 The Incredibles 2 (2018)
I like this one better than the first. It's not an all-time great film, but it is fun.


#7 Toy Story 4 (2019)
Toy Story 4 is a completely unnecessary sequel, but a ton of fun nonetheless.


#6 Coco (2017)

Though it may move up or down a spot on this list with more viewings, I think it's safe to say this one is a return to form after a few films in a row that I found underwhelming.

 
#5 Wall-E (2008)

Usually I have a good idea of what I'm going to get going into these movies, 'Wall E' was a rare exception. While it's not perfect, it was far better than I expected it to be.

#4 Finding Nemo (2003)

This one effectively combines a simple but interesting plot with unique characters and some really impressive animation.

#3 Toy Story 3 (2010)

 This one hit every beat I was hoping it would when I first went to the theater to check it out.
It's a really solid movie, with a lot of heart.

#2 Monsters Inc. (2001)

I love this one. It's a ton of fun, and still enjoy it with every repeat viewing. Mike and Sully are right up there with Buzz and Woody as my favorite set of Pixar buddies playing off one another.


#1 Toy Story (1995)

This is the gold standard by which I always compare Pixar films too. It's fun, the characters are great, it's enjoyable start to finish, and it represents a milestone in animation.


Do you agree with my rankings?
How would you rank all these film?
Let me know in the comments below.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to see Toy Story snagged the spot! The movie is an absolute gem. I have yet to see Toy Story 4 but I'm hoping to catch it very soon.

    ReplyDelete