Sunday, April 8, 2018

The Miracle Season



The Miracle Season is a 2018 film based on the true story of an Iowa volleyball team that overcomes tragedy to win the state championship. This film shamelessly goes hard for the heartstrings, but missed the mark for me completely. However, I ended up fighting back laughter during several scenes.

The story is fairly straightforward: Caroline "Line" Found is the heart of her high school volleyball team (and I guess her whole home town), but one night she gets into an auto accident and dies. Her friends/teammates are unsure if they can even play out the season without their star player, but they use Caroline's zest for life as inspiration. Against all odds, and lead by Caroline's best friend, the team comes together to win it all. It's a nice story, but It's trying a bit too hard to be a tear-jerker and it doesn't work. The cast is ok but acting is a bit over the top at times, and though I appreciate the effort in trying to make volleyball cinematic, it's not a great sports movie.

Overall, this probably should've been a Hallmark channel movie rather than a feature film. I don't want to rip on the movie too hard, because it is a true story about a girl dying but I also can't recommend this one.
I give it a 1.5 out of 5.

1 comment: