Sunday, December 23, 2018

Aquaman


This review comes with a bit of a disclaimer: Truth be told, Aquaman is my all-time favorite superhero and has been since I was a little kid, so I was all in on this movie from the very first trailer. If you're looking for a purely objective view on this particular film, then take this blog post with a grain of salt because I'm coming at this one as fan who never thought he'd get a live-action, big budget, Aquaman film. 


Aquaman is the latest live-action superhero flick based on a DC character. Directed by James Wan, the film stars Amber Heard, Patrick Wilson, Dolph Lundgren, Nicole Kidman, Yahya Abdul Mateen II, Willem Dafoe and, of course, Jason Mamoa as the title character. The acting is pretty solid overall, and the story kept me engaged throughout. Being a comic book film and with significant portions taking place under water, I was a little worried going in that the CGI effects would be distracting but I feel that most of it was done well. 

While I don't know how this one will hit with audiences overall, for any fans of Aquaman this one offers a bit of everything that makes those comics interesting: It features Aquaman's two most iconic villains Ocean Master and Black Manta, sea monsters from the Trench, Mera, and Atlanteans fighting with tridents... it's all there. 


I had a blast with this one, and it's the most fun I had with a comic book movie this year.
4.5 out of 5 


*Also, If you want to know how all of the DC films stack up for me you can click HERE to see my rankings

1 comment: