Friday, September 20, 2019

A Week of Kubrick- Day 5: Barry Lyndon


Day 5.
 So far during this 'Week of Kubrick' I've written about Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, Eyes Wide Shut, and Spartacus. Today's movie is the 1975 period-drama Barry Lyndon. A lot of times I find when talking to people, that this seems to be an overlooked Kubrick film. Everyone talks about the Shining, and A Clockwork Orange, and 2001: A Space Odyssey but rarely Barry Lyndon. It's a bit of a shame because I think, visually, this is Kubrick's most beautiful film. It is a little long, as many of Kubrick's films are, clocking in at just over 3 hours. However, the movie is divided into two parts so it can be viewed across two nights without losing momentum. I first saw this movie on T.V. and this is how it was presented.

As for the films story, it's an adaptation of the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon by William Makepeace Thackeray and is essentially a rag-to-riches-back-to-rags story. I'm not going to outline the whole plot, because I think it's a movie definitely worth seeing. The film takes place during the latter half of the 18th-century with a decent chuck of Part I set during the Seven Years War. For me this is a notable aspect because I usually don't gravitate to period pieces about this era (maybe it's all the powdered wigs). However, I really enjoy this one. The acting is solid, the cinematography is fantastic, and the story is engaging. 

I realize that it's not going to connect with everyone who watches it but, I still think it's worth checking out if you've never seen it. 
4.5 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment