Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Transcendence


Released in 2014, Transcendence is 20 minutes worth of plot that meanders it's way to a 2 hour runtime. Despite boasting a fairly impressive cast and a halfway decent sci-fi premise, first time Director Wally Pfister was unable to pull it all together in my opinion.

So, what is the plot of this film? Johnny Depp (in probably the most phoned-in performance of his career) plays Dr. Will Caster. A brilliant mind in the world of artificial intelligence technology, Dr. Caster becomes the target of an assassination attempt by an anti-technology terrorist group lead by Kate Mara. After being shot, Will's wife Evelyn (played by Rebecca Hall) and his colleague Max (played by Paul Bettany) decide to upload his consciousness to a super computer. Like in Avengers: Age of Ultron (I didn't think that movie would come up when I popped in Transcendence) things quickly get out of control, and you soon have and A.I. system that has access to every computer in the world and needs to be stopped. However, where as Ultron had to deal with the likes of Captain America, Thor, and Ironman, Dr. Caster's opposition is an FBI agent played by Cillian Murphy, a horribly miscast Kate Mara, and Morgan Freeman.

Overall, I didn't think this movie was very good. I like the basic premise and there are some good scenes and moments sprinkled throughout but, for everything I liked in the film there were at least two things that I didn't. It's not an unwatchable movie, just a bit underwhelming and not one I'd recommend. 
1.5 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment