Thursday, May 14, 2020

Dark Was the Night


I haven't done one of my bargain bin reviews in a good while, so today's movie is Dark Was the Night from 2018. I actually found this one a few months ago but hadn't gotten around to watching it until now. The film stars Marisa Tomei (who is the main reason I picked the Blu-ray up), Charlie Plummer, and Timothy Olyphant. 

The main plot of the film is that Steven Lang (played by Olyphant) is murdered one night in a parking lot after breaking up an altercation. He leaves behind a wife Margret (played by Tomei) and a teenage son Marcus (played by Plummer). In the days and weeks following the tragedy Margret falls into a deep depression and starts drinking heavily, while Marcus tries to keep moving forward. As time goes on Margret starts going to AA meetings and does her best to pick up the pieces of her broken life. Simultaneously, Marcus starts going down the opposite path and is becoming more self-destructive and isolated. 

Overall, this movie was better than I expected. I thought it was a good portrayal of how people deal with grief differently. While the film is nothing ground-breaking, and it is a bit of a sad watch, I thought it was well-written and the acting was solid. 
This one was pretty good, 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment