Friday, February 1, 2019

70's Month - Day:1 Mad Max


Some films have deep meaning, some hold a great cultural significance… and some are just cool movies.

1979's Mad Max, starring Mel Gibson, is an immensely entertaining action film. Max (played by Gibson) is an Main Force Patrol officer, and a really good one. That is until one day when fellow officer 'Goose' is ambushed by a motorcycle gang and burned alive. After that Max resigns from the force and sets off on a vacation with his wife and young child. But, of course, the motorcycle gang ends up coming across Max's family and kills them. As a result, Max sets out to pursue and kill the gang members.

Overall, I don't know if I'd call Mad Max a great movie but it is on of those that, no matter how many times I've seen it, if I come across it on TV I can jump in at any point and enjoy the film. It has both memorable characters and some tense scenes that always draw me in. Now, I know everyone went nuts for Mad Max: Fury Road a couple years back (I thought it was ok) but that was a $150-million dollar movie and, for me, it had none of the charm that the original did. I recommend checking out Mad Max if you've never seen it.
4 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment