Monday, February 4, 2019

70's Month - Day:4 Airport '77


One of the first things that comes to mind when I think of films from the 1970's is the plethora of memorable disaster movies. From Earthquake to The Towering Inferno to Meteor and The Poseidon Adventure, I have a bit of soft spot for disaster movies and today's film is a solid entry. 

Airport '77 is the story of a hijack attempt gone wrong, which results in a 747 crash-landing in the Bermuda Triangle. Although the character archetypes and the plot structure are a bit by-the-numbers, the movie does boast a solid cast with the likes of Jack Lemmon, Lee Grant, George Kennedy, Olivia De Havilland, Christopher Lee, and James Stewart which helps elevate the film. The first 20 minutes or so of the movie don't flow that well in my opinion, but once the plane is submerged underwater and the tension starts to build, the movie really hits it's stride.

Overall, I like Airport '77. It's not my favorite disaster movie and I wouldn't go so far as to call it a 'great' movie, but it is entertaining and worth a watch.
3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment