Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Mummy (2017)


"The Mummy" is the most recent attempt by Universal to kick start a connected Avengers-style universe featuring all the classic monsters (Frankenstein's monster, the Wolfman, the Mummy, etc.). Now, I'm a big fan of all the classic Universal monster films including 1932's 'The Mummy' starting Boris Karloff. Additionally, I enjoyed 2 out of the 3 Mummy films with Brendan Fraser. Were they great like the original with Karloff? No,  but they were fun adventure flicks.

So,  is this latest Mummy film any good -or- does it deserve much of the hate it's getting from critics? 
Well, a little of both. Again, I'm a fan of monster movies and, anyone who reads this blog regularly will know, I'm a fan of Tom Cruise so I was excited to see this. 

Well, I enjoyed it. Is it perfect? Definitely not, but it was entertaining and I thought it was a decent mashup of action and horror. Some of the world-building to established the connected universe was slightly distracting. The action is mostly good, and the CGI is pretty solid. There are a few comedic moments as well, some good and some of which don't stick the landing but it never took me out of the film. 

Overall, It's entertaining. I definitely enjoyed it more than the last film I reviewed... (you can check out my Wonder Woman review by clicking here). Despite a few flaws, I actually had a blast watching this one
I give it a 4 out of 5.


Have a suggestions for a review? Leave it in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment