Sunday, August 20, 2017

Movie Review: Edge of Tomorrow (2014)


About a month ago I added to my ongoing '10 Movies Everyone Should See' series with a look at 10 Tom Cruise movies (you can check out that blog entry by clicking the link here: http://onlyinthemoviesblog.blogspot.com/2017/07/10-tom-cruise-movies-everyone-should-see.html). 
However, as always when I make those lists, there are films that are deserving but get left off for one reason or another. One of the films I just didn't have a place for on the list was 2014's 'Edge of Tomorrow', but that's not to say I don't enjoy it. It's a really cool sci-fi/action movie that I found entertaining it when I saw it in the theaters and have since rewatched a few times. Interestingly, despite a 91% critic rating and a 90% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, the film wasn't a box-office hit and a lot of people I know haven't seen it. Also, for some reason, after originally being titled 'Edge of Tomorrow' for the theatrical release when it was released on DVD and Blu-ray it was retitled 'Live. Die. Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow'. 

The film stars Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt and takes place during an alien invasion. Cruise plays Bill Cage, an Army officer that reluctantly gets sent to fight on the front line. After killing one of the aliens, some of the blood gets on Cage and he ends up stuck in a time loop, leaving him to fight and die over and over again while he tries to find a way win the battle and break the cycle. Think of it like an action-packed "Groundhog's Day". There are some great action scenes, and just about all of the comedy that's sprinkled in hits the mark. Additionally, the chemistry between Cruise and Blunt is pretty good and the plot moves along a brisk, entertaining pace during a runtime just shy of 2 hours.

Overall, if you haven't seen this one then I recommend giving it a try.
I give this one a 4.5 out of 5.


Have a suggestion for a review?
Leave it in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment