Sunday, February 18, 2018

Before I Go to Sleep (2014)


A psychological-thriller based on a novel that I didn't read, Before I Go to Sleep is one of those films that is so close to being really good but just falls short. 
The story is that of a woman named Christine (played by Nicole Kidman) who wakes up every morning unable to remember the previous day's events. This condition came about after a traumatic event some years earlier. A neuropsycholgist named Dr. Nasch (played by Mark Strong) gets her to start using a camera each night to document a brief summary of her day to, hopefully, help with her memory loss. The more Christine does this, the more she begins to uncover about her current life. What really happened? Has her husband Ben (played by Colin Firth) been lying to her about their life together? etc. 
If any of this sounds like numerous movies you've seen before, that's because it kinda is. Rife with genre clichés and fairly predictable plot twists, the film probably isn't going blow your mind.
However, the movie is well acted with Nicole Kidman giving a particularly good performance. At approx. 90mins the movie is briskly paced which helps keep the main story on track, but does cause a couple of potential plot threads to be brushed aside.

Overall, it's a decent flick that will likely be satisfying enough if you're really in the mood for this type of story.
I give it a 2.5 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. Even if it does remind me of films I've seen before, I'd still see this movie and I'm going to go and watch it. Plus, I usually like Nicole Kidman.

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete