Friday, February 16, 2018

Black Panther


Black Panther is the latest in a long line of Marvel Cinematic Universe films, and it is... just ok. I found myself checking my watch on more than one occasion. 
I went into this one with slightly lower than usual expectations for an MCU movie because, with this being the last one to be released before the big event film Avengers: Infinity War, I figured the stakes would be pretty low and this would exist more to flesh out the character of T'challa/Black Panther than anything else. I, unfortunately, was correct. There is a lot of explanation and 'world-building' with regards to the fictional nation of Wakanda, as well as, how it's citizens view T'challa, his role there, etc. A lot of it is barely interesting. 

The acting in the film is mostly good, and the effects are mostly on par with what you'd expect in an MCU film with a couple dodgy moments. I like Chadwick Boseman as an actor, I loved the idea of Michael B. Jordan as a villain and he's good in the film, and there are a few decent sequences with him scattered throughout. Also, while I think Ryan Coogler is a solid Director, this is may the weakest of his feature films so far.

 Deep down I was hoping to love this movie but, I left the theater a bit underwhelmed. I thought Black Panther was a fun addition when he showed up in 2016's Captain America: Civil War but, after seeing this movie, I think he may be a character better suited to team-up movies similar to Hawkeye or the Hulk.

Overall, if your a really big fan of the Marvel movies then you should go see it because there is probably enough to keep you entertained. On the flip side, if you're not super into these movies or are just suffering from a little superhero fatigue, then you can definitely skip this one. 
 I didn't hate it, but I definitely didn't love it. 
It's not one I recommend. 
I give it a 2.5 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment