Sunday, January 6, 2019

Mary Poppins Returns


So, last night I finally go around to seeing Disney's latest film Mary Poppins Returns. Now, I love the original Mary Poppins from 1964; It's great fun, the songs are catchy, and Julie Andrews is perfect in the film. While I was excited to see more Mary Poppins, I was a bit nervous about a sequel to an iconic film that came out more than 50 years ago. 

In the film, a now grown up Michael Banks has hit a rough patch in his life. His wife passed away about a year ago, leaving him to take care of their three children and he is at risk of losing his family's home on Cherry Tree Lane to the bank. Of course, Mary Poppins comes floating in to look after the Banks children, bring them some joy, and maybe teach Mr. Banks a thing or two by the end. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. I thought the cast was solid, Julie Andrews is one of a kind but, I felt like Emily Blunt still did an outstanding job and Lin-Manuel Miranda's character Jack (who serves a similar purpose as Dick Van Dyke in the original) was on of the highlights of the film for me. Is it one of the best movies ever? No. It's not Vertigo or Citizen Kane or Singin' in the Rain, but I do think it's a worth-while follow up to the original Mary Poppins. I keeps with spirit of the first film and I found myself smiling and tapping my foot along with the songs the whole time. It not perfect, but it's the type of movie that reminds me why I love going to the movies. It's an escape from the ordinary and a chance to see something fantastical. 
I give Mary Poppins Returns 4.5 out of 5.

1 comment: