Thursday, July 25, 2019

RoboCop (2014)


Back in 2016 I took a look back at the original RoboCop trilogy, but I didn't review the 2014 reboot at the time.

Until rewatching the movie for this review I had only seen it the one time in theaters and had forgotten a lot about it. There are a few things in this film that I like but, I'm going to start with some of the problems I have with it. First off, it's rated PG-13.  For a lot of movies this wouldn't matter much to me but, similarly to 1993's RoboCop 3, keeping this film a PG-13 instead of a R rating holds it back. Secondly, the film lacks the humor and satire of the others, particularly the 1987 original. Finally, despite an overall strong cast, I feel that Joel Kinnaman was miscast as Alex Murphy.

The movie isn't without it's positves though. Like I said, the cast overall is solid, boasting the likes of Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, and Michael Keaton. I think the story works well enough, the action is decent, and RoboCop's design looks pretty good in 
the film, with the exception of the helmet.

Overall, it isn't great but it's not unwatchable either. That being said, if you're in the mood for a RoboCop film, I'd still recommend either of the first two over this one.


2.5 out of 5


 If you want to check out my reviews of the other RoboCop films here are the links: RoboCop (1987), RoboCop 2 (1990), and RoboCop 3 (1993)

No comments:

Post a Comment