Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Tonight's Movie: Killing Season (2013)


This is one that didn't make my list of '10 John Travolta Movies Everyone Should See' but I wanted to rewatch and review it.

This movie was panned by most critics and subsequently holds a whopping 11% on Rotten Tomatoes.

But is it really THAT bad?
I say no, but before going into why it's worth watching, let's look at some of the problems.

I'll start with the cast, because I think that's where most people's issues with this movie stem from. It comes down to two things; Expectation and Execution.

I really like Robert DeNiro and John Travolta, as I think most people do. They're both really good, very accomplished actors that have been in some great films. Right from the get-go expectations are higher than if some no-names where in this film. The problem is that both seem miscast in this one.

And that's where execution comes in.
These are talented guys in the wrong roles. Robert De Niro is going for a sort of southern accent and it fades in and out throughout the film, perhaps because it's so unnatural.
Likewise, Travolta's Serbian accent sounds kinda like a cartoon villian. I would love to see these two in a movie together, I just don't completely  buy them in this movie.

In addition to some misguided casting choices, the plot is a bit too thin. I think this may have made a better 1hr TV movie. As is, there are a few scenes that could've been cut out without losing any of the story.

Now that all of that is out of the way you may be wondering "is it worth watching?"

Yes, and here's why.
While I do believe the plot is a bit thin, that doesn't mean the story isn't interesting. Also, though they don't seem ideal for these roles, both De Niro and Travolta do have that high enough likability factor that makes them watchable in almost anything. Plus, much of the movie is a pretty entertaining thriller.

Give it a try. I don't think it's as bad as its reputation.

2.5 out of 5


Have a suggestion for a review?
Leave it in the comments below.



1 comment:

  1. I actually think they did a great job given the script. But then again other then "Battlefield Earth", Travolta can do no wrong in my eyes. I LOVE your blogs! Keep them coming!!!

    ReplyDelete