Saturday, October 1, 2016

Tonight's Movie: Across The Universe (2007)



Ever since this film came out in 2007, I've found that people I talk to about it always seem to have a mixed-bag of reactions.

I'm just gonna go ahead and show my cards up-front with this one; I really enjoy this movie. I think it's fun and entertaining even though I acknowledge at points it's more spectacle than substance.

Those that lean toward disliking  it unusually cite the fact that the love story is a bit clichéd (which it is) and that some of the characters are kinda bland (a fair point). Also, much of the enjoyment to be had in the movie does rely on you liking the Beatles, as the film is a musical with a soundtrack made up entirely of Beatles songs. Even all the character's names are references to Beatles songs (Jude, Lucy, Sadie, etc).

To some this is a little overkill but, for me, it does feel like a good balance between being its own thing and being a sort of Beatles tribute.

So, why do I like it?
For starters, it looks pretty incredible. This is the type of film for which HD tv's and Blu-Ray players were invented.  Additionally, in this movie I don't mind the clichéd love story. There is so much going on both musically and visually, that I think the generic love story fits well because doesn't over complicate things in an already busy film. Also, as stated before, the movie is a musical and I really like the soundtrack. And while some of the characters are forgettable, I really like Jude (played by Jim Sturgess). I also think that Jo-Jo (played by Martin Luther McCoy) is a cool Jimi Hendrix-esque supporting character.

All in all, if you're not a fan of the Beatles, or musicals in general, then this may not be one that interests you, but I happen to really like it.

4 out of 5


Have a suggestion for a review?
Leave it in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment