Friday, November 4, 2016

Today's Movie: Doctor Strange (2016)

 
The film Doctor Strange is a based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, and stars Benedict Cumberbatch. The film has only recently come out so for those who have yet to see it, I'll do my best to give a review without spoiling it.

My expectations going in were pretty high, and I felt the film lived up to those expectations.
The plot is very similar in structure to one of my favorite MCU films: Iron Man. Like that movie this features a main character that is brilliant but also quite arrogant. Then, after a tragedy, he sees the error of his ways, and by the end of the film he's a hero. Simple idea but when it's done well make for an enjoyable viewing experience. One of the unfortunate things, as with many MCU movies, the villain wasn't great. However, despite a lackluster villain the movie does have a lot of positives going for it. First off, the film is visually stunning, with a ton of really cool effects. I really liked Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Stephen Strange, and I thought they did a solid job of bringing that character to life while also keeping the film moving along at a decent pace. There are some lighthearted moments scattered throughout and most (but not all) of the jokes and quips hit there mark.

Overall, I'm not quite sure where I'd rank this film among the others in the Marvel Cinematic Universe after only one viewing, (a ranking of all the other MCU films can be found by clicking here: http://onlyinthemoviesblog.blogspot.com/2016/10/the-marvel-cinematic-universe.html) but it's a fun, enjoyable film and I definitely recommend going to the theater and checking it out.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5


Have a suggestion for a review?
Leave it in the comments below.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment