Sunday, November 6, 2016

Today's Movie: Hacksaw Ridge (2016)



I wasn't 100% sure what to expect going into this one. I had seen some trailers but didn't look into the movie much ahead of time. In fact, if you would've asked me a few months ago to gauge my excitement for this movie, I probably would have said something to the effect of "It looks like a typical WWII movie, but I'll probably check it out". It's safe to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

The film is based on the true story of a 'conscientious objector' named Desmond Doss (played by Andrew Garfield) who enlists in the Army because he sees it as his duty to serve despite not only refusing to kill, but to even carry a weapon. He instead becomes a medic and, armed with only courage, determination, and his faith in God, he bravely saves the lives of 75 injured soldiers. All the acting, from Andrew Garfield, to Vince Vaughn, to Sam Worthington, to Teresa Palmer is solid throughout and I found the story really compelling.

Overall, if you want to see something that is well acted, well written, well directed, inspirational, with intense battlefield scenes, and really good cinematography then you need to see Hacksaw Ridge. Unfortunately, because it's directed by Mel Gibson this one probably won't get the award recognition it deserves, but it really is a fantastic movie. Once we get to the end of the year I plan to write a "10 Best Film of 2016" list, and this one is likely to make that list.

I give this one a 5 out of 5.
Go check it out, you won't be disappointed.


Have a suggestion for a review?
Leave it in the comments below.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you....5 out of 5, with a warning: Very Graphic!

    ReplyDelete