Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The Marvel Cinematic Universe *Updated*





Back in October of 2016 I ranked the Marvel Cinematic Universe films worst-to-first based on a variety of factors; story, villain, initial viewing and rewatchability etc. But most importantly, the list is simply about how much I enjoyed one film over another. Since then, several movies have been added to the MCU with each one building on and often changing the impact of previous films. So, I've updated the rankings which is something I'll be doing after each new installment.




#19 The Incredible Hulk (2008)


This one, for me, is the most forgettable of the MCU films. Edward Norton and the rest of the cast are solid but the CGI doesn’t hold up well and the movie just isn't much fun.



#18 Black Panther (2018)
This one was a bit of a letdown for me and the main problem was 'Vibranium'. Up until this film the fictional element was extremely rare, and it was simply known in the MCU as the most durable metal on the planet. However, in this movie Vibranium can do whatever the plot needs it to do and there is a whole mine full of it. 







#17 Iron Man 3 (2013)


This one is a bit of a mixed-bag. Initially I didn’t care for it, probably because I had such high expectations going in, but over time and a few repeat viewings I’ve found a good number of things I really like in the movie.



#16 Thor: The Dark World (2013)


This sequel to 2011’s ‘Thor’ is a solid movie that just suffers from a forgettable villain. We get to see more of Asgard in this one, which is a plus.



#15 Iron Man 2 (2010)



This movie isn't bad,  and it's actually the film I've seen the most on this list, but at times it feels like more of a setup for future MCU films than an Iron Man one. On the plus side, War Machine and Black Widow are fun additions.




#14 Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)



While it is a really fun action packed movie, it didn't quite live up to my expectations.  I liked the larger roster of Avengers, but I didn't find Ultron all that menacing. 

#13 Thor (2011)

The film doesn't have the most compelling Marvel hero and it isn't the most action-packed of the bunch, but it's a solid entry and Chris Hemsworth is another example of great casting by the folks at Marvel. 


#12 Doctor Strange (2016)


This one isn't just entertaining but it's also visually captivating. Doctor Strange was never one of my favorite Marvel Comics characters, but that didn't hurt my movie going experience and I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was solid a Stephen Strange.




#11 Ant-Man


I was kind of surprised by how much I enjoyed this one when I first saw it. It’s a really fun movie. There is the one big MCU tie-in when Ant-Man comes across Falcon, but like ‘Iron Man’ the movie is able to stand on its own without relying too heavily on the rest of the MCU.




#10 Captain America: Civil War (2016)


There are a lot things I loved about it and a few things I didn't, but overall it's really entertaining. I would've liked to rank it higher, but there just wasn't enough to put it ahead of the others.

#9 Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)


Just because it’s #9 doesn’t make it a bad movie. The characters are likeable, and the story is interesting. The biggest flaw is that Ronan the Accuser is an underwhelming villain that felt like nothing more than a place holder until a future Guardians film.



# 8 Avengers: Infinity War (2018)


It's the culmination of 10 years worth of Marvel movies and, while that makes it a satisfying experience for MCU fans, it doesn't really stand on it's own as a film. There is a good chance that it moves up or down significantly on the list as subsequent films build on the events of this one.



#7 Thor: Ragnarok (2017)


It was time for Marvel to do something different with Thor and the Hulk, and in this action-comedy I think they knocked it out of park. This is easily my favorite of the 'Thor' films, and it holds up to repeat viewings.


  

#6 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

 I like the first 'Guardians of the Galaxy' film but it does have it's flaws and, while this one isn't perfect either, I did really enjoy it. A fun film with the characters you love from the first one, plus Kurt Russell. I definitely recommend it.



#5 Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)



I probably like this one more than most people. I think it's a really fun and well done movie, especially since origin stories so often end up being boring.



#4 Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)



Spider-Man's first solo film in the MCU was exactly what I hoped it would be. A fun, action packed film with a Peter Parker who actually looks like a high school student.

 


#3 The Avengers (2012)

There was nothing quite like seeing Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Black Widow, and Hawkeye all fighting alongside one another for the first time on the big screen. It’s still one of the coolest MCU moments.



#2 Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)


This almost made the #1 spot. It’s an action packed thriller, and one of the all-time best comic book movies. A great addition to the MCU.




#1 Iron Man (2008)


The film that started it all still holds up as my favorite. The plot isn't overly complicated, you can enjoy it for exactly what it is without the need to see any of the other films beforehand, and Robert Downey Jr. is excellent as Tony Stark.




How do you rank the MCU films?
Leave it in the comments below.




I post reviews of new and classic films all the time, so check back regularly or follow me on Twitter @jfrey87 for links to new content.



No comments:

Post a Comment