Friday, August 17, 2018

Today's Movie: Sympathy for Delicious


A recent bargain-bin find, Sympathy for Delicious is a 2010 film with a premise so odd that I couldn't resist picking it up. The film is about homeless, paraplegic, former DJ, who discovers he has Jesus-like healing powers and then joins a rock band as their turntablist/faith-healer. I was sure going in that this would either be really good or really bad, and I was game for either one. Interestingly though, despite the movie has a cast full of well-known actors, including Mark Ruffalo (who also directed the film), Juliette Lewis, and Orlando Bloom, and it only being approximately an hour and a half long, it's a surprisingly boring movie.

The main character Dean O'Dwyer aka DJ Delicious (played by Christopher Thornton) is a selfish, unlikeable jerk for whole movie and his one redeeming moment at the end of the film just wasn't enough for me. Additionally, the characters in the rock band are stereotypical, punk-rockers and they're all pretty forgettable (Heck, I just watched the film and I can't remember any of their names). 
I did think that Ruffalo was pretty good and the story does present an interesting idea or two. However, there just isn't real compelling feature here.

Overall, this isn't a movie recommend. 
 1.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment