Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Bohemian Rhapsody


Bohemian Rhapsody is a biopic about the band Queen, but it primarily focuses on Freddie Mercury (the band's most recognizable member). Although the film looked very interesting, I tried to temper my expectations going into this one. The early reviews I had heard were mixed and while I do like the occasional musical-biopic, I've seen way more bad than good. 

I thought this one was decent for the most part. Rami Malek, who plays Mercury in the film, did an outstanding job and it's a movie about Queen so the music throughout the film is awesome. That being said, it seems like the filmmakers played it a bit too safe and the result was a fairly by-the-numbers, watered down, retelling of the band's history. It's also not edited or paced particularly well and, although his role is minor, everytime Mike Myers pops up in a scene it took me out of the movie.

Overall, while I didn't enjoy this movie as much as films like 2005's Walk the Line or 1991's The Doors, I still had a good time. It's a crowd-pleaser that I'd recommend any Queen fan go and check it out.
I give it a 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment