Saturday, November 10, 2018

My Favorite Sports Movies


In addition to my love of movies, I'm also a big sports fan. So, when the two forms of entertainment meet the result is some of my favorite films to watch time and time again. This isn't going to be a "Best Sports Films Ever" type of list. These are just some of my favorites. Now, this list was getting WAY too long so I pared it down to the fifteen films I've gone back to most frequently.

#15 The Longest Yard (1974)
This is one of Burt Reynolds' best known films and one that I can't help but watch every time it pops up on one of the movie channels. Unfortunately the 2004 remake with Adam Sandler wasn't nearly as good.


#14 Days of Thunder (1990)
I don't have much to say about this one... Sure, it's the worst critically received film on the list, but I still find it really entertaining. 


#13 Raging Bull (1980)
38 years later and this still holds up as one of Scorsese's best works and one of De Niro's best performances. A fair argument could be made that it's the best film on this list.


#12 The Stratton Story (1949)
This is the film on here that the least amount of people reading this have probably seen. It's based on the true story of Monty Stratton, a baseball pitcher who makes a comeback after having his leg amputated, and it is a fantastic movie. Check it out if you've never seen it. 


#11 Cinderella Man (2005)
This film about James J. Braddock, a boxer who is forced by injuries to retire and later defied the odds to become Heavyweight Champion of the World, is one of the better boxing movies out there in my opinion. 


#10 Jerry Maguire (1996)
"Show me the money!"
Yea, it's a movie about a sports agent, but it's a really good movie about a sports agent.


#9 Moneyball (2011) 
Who would've thought a movie about the analytics of baseball could be this entertaining. Moneyball is well written, well directed, and features what I think is Brad Pitt's best performance.


#8 The Hustler (1961)
Is Billiards a sport? Well, Google and ESPN at 2am say it is. Plus, The Hustler is a phenomenal film, so it makes the list. 


#7 Happy Gilmore (1996)
I've lost count how many times I've seen Happy Gilmore and I still get a bunch of laughs out of it every time. Sandler's schtick got old after a while, but in the mid-90's he was on top of his game and Happy Gilmore still holds up.


#6 The Wrestler (2008) 
This isn't one of those feel-good sports movies where the lovable underdog wins the big championship and everyone is happy in the end. But, if you want to see a great movie with a terrific performance by Mickey Rourke, then this is a must-see.


#5 Field of Dreams (1989)
It's become a tradition of mine to watch this one a few days before Opening Day each year. It's the most sentimental film on the list, but it doesn't take it too far.


#4 Caddyshack (1980)
This is one of those rare movies that when the final credits role, and the Blu-ray returns to the home menu, I can press play and watch it all over again. 


#3 Bull Durham (1988)
"Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring. Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls, it's more democratic" - 'Crash' Davis
I love this movie.


#2 Slap Shot (1977)
A few sports-comedies made the list, but this one is arguably my favorite of the bunch. Paul Newman is great in the film, and despite my love of the sport, it's the only hockey movie to make the list.


#1 Rocky (1976)
Since 1976 everyone who makes sports movie, is hoping that they are making the next Rocky. I wrote a whole blog entry on the Rocky film franchise a while back (you can check that out by clicking HERE) and the original Rocky film still stands out as not only my favorite film in that series, but as my all-time favorite sports movie.


Some movies that just missed the cut: Rocky IV (1985), Miracle (2004), Creed (2015), The Natural (1984), The Mighty Ducks (1992), Hoosiers (1986) A League of Their Own (1992), All the Right Moves (1983), The Sandlot (1993), Mr. Hockey: The Gordie Howe Story (2013)


What are some of your favorite sports films?
Leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment