Monday, August 12, 2019

Ranking the Quentin Tarantino Movies


Quentin Tarantino. Although he's a man who isn't shy about making the occasional controversial comment or stuffing his movies with harsh language and violence, it's hard to deny his film making abilities. Personally, I'm a big fan of his work and I wanted to make this ranking for some time but, I thought it best to wait for his film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to be released.  As usual, this ranking is based solely on my own enjoyment, opinions, and the rewatchablity of each film and not based on critical or box-office success.

 #9 Jackie Brown (1997)
All of these films are solid but, one of them had to come in last place and it's Jackie Brown. I like the cast, and I like the story but it feels just a little too long and not everything clicks for me. 

#8 The Hateful Eight (2015)
Anyone who is a regular reader of this blog will know I'm a huge fan of westerns, so it might be a little surprising that this one comes in at #8. To be clear, I don't dislike this movie (it was actually one of my favorite movies of 2015) I just didn't think that this one was a home run.

#7 Django Unchained (2012)
I really liked this one when I first saw it. I still think it's a really good movie, and I go back and rewatch it every so often, but a little bit of that shine has worn off. So, when compared to the others on this list, it comes in at #7.

#6 Death Proof (2007)
Man, I love Death Proof (probably more than most people). It's not perfect and it isn't Tarantino's best by a long shot but, I think it's a fun one.

#5 Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 (2003 & 2004)
I debated initially whether or not to rank Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 separately but Tarantino himself has said: "Technically we released it as two movies, and there is a closing and an opening credits (on each movie), but I made it as one movie and I wrote it as one movie, (so it's one movie)." Based on that, and my opinion of Kill Bill it comes in at the #5 slot. If you are curious though, I like Vol.1 just a bit better than Vol. 2.

#4 Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)
Walking out of the theater I knew that I liked what I had just seen but, after a few days of the film sitting with me I started to realize just how many character moments I loved in the movie. I've only seen it the one time so, it may potentially move up the list in the future.

#3 Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Tarantino's feature-length directorial debut still holds up as one of his best. Memorable characters, sharp dialogue, attention to detail and, of course, a healthy dose of violence are all staples of a Tarantino film and it started with Reservoir Dogs.

#2 Pulp Fiction (1994)
Pulp Fiction is simply one of the of the greats. It appears on the American Film Institute's list of the 100 best American movies, and it's one of the most influential films to come out of the 90's. I went back and forth for awhile on whether or not it should be #1 or #2.

#1 Inglorious Bastards (2009)
Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece and will probably forever known as the movie most people will associate with Tarantino. However, it's my list and my personal favorite is Inglorious Bastards. I think it's a terrific film, and it's the one I tend to rewatch most frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment