Friday, August 2, 2019

The Phenom


2016's The Phenom is a bit of a divisive film. It currently hold a 'Certified Fresh' 79% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes but only has a 39% audience score. That was the sort of split in my own house as well; I really enjoyed the movie but my wife didn't. I think this probably has more to do with expectations versus what the film actually is rather than quality. The performances are all good and the script is well written but, if you're looking for a fun baseball flick like Bull Durham or The Natural then this isn't it. Baseball is more of a backdrop in this one rather then the stories real focus.

The plot centers around a young, hotshot pitcher named Hopper Gibson (played by Johnny Simmons) who is going through some struggles on the mound and starts seeing sports psychologist Dr. Mobley (played by Paul Giamatti). Hopper's father (played by Ethan Hawke) was in and out of jail his whole life, and when he wasn't behind bars he was pushing his son to be the best pitcher he could possibly be... even if that meant being overbearing, cruel, and abusive. 

Overall, I think this is a good movie and Paul Giamatti is one of my favorite actors so this film gets a little bit of a boost in my book for having him in it. That being said, while I found this story here to be pretty compelling, I get why it wouldn't be for everyone. I recommend it, but know going in that it's not a typical sports movie.
I give it a 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment