Friday, February 14, 2020

Sonic the Hedgehog


Sonic the Hedgehog, the speedy blue video game character that caused so many kids in the early 90's (myself included) to beg their parents to buy them a SEGA console has finally made his way to the big screen. 

The film is a live-action/CGI hybrid that stars James Marsden, Jim Carrey, and Ben Schwartz (voicing Sonic). The premise is simple; Sonic is a blue, anthropomorphic hedgehog from an alternate dimension that ends up in our world. The U.S. government sends a mad scientist named Dr. Robotnik (played by Jim Carrey) to capture the blue blur and he, of course, wants to harness Sonic's powers and presumably take over the world. Along the way Sonic meets and befriends a small-town Sheriff named Tom (played by James Marsden) who agrees to help him elude the villain. 

Overall, It's nothing too complex but, it is a film targeted towards kids. I took my 7year-old, who has been dying to see the movie for weeks, and he had a blast. Setting aside the fun he had and viewing it just as the movie it is, I thought it was ok. The story is a bit bland and predictable but, I think he film does have some charm. Like the title character himself, the film moves along at a fast pace and at least I can say I was never bored. Sonic himself I though was a likeable character and, while not all of the jokes hit the mark, I did get a few laughs out of his shenanigans. The real standout of the film is Jim Carrey. It was nice to see him return to doing this type of over-the-top character that he used to be so well-known for.

To wrap things up, Sonic the Hedgehog is fun movie. It's not great. It's not going to win any Academy Awards. However, if you have young kids or if you're just a fan of the character then I recommend giving this one a shot.

2.5 out of 5 

No comments:

Post a Comment