Thursday, February 27, 2020

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.


Right off the bat, for context, my two favorite film franchises are Mission:Impossible and the Bond films. So, an action-packed espionage thriller is usually something that I'll have a good time watching. 2015's The Man from U.N.C.L.E. wasn't a hit at the box-office and recieved mixed reviews from critics, but I think it's actually pretty good.

 The film was directed by Guy Ritchie and stars Henry Cavill, Armie Hammer, and Alicia Vikander. While I'm not a Hugh Guy Ritchie fan, I think this is actually one of his better movies. Like many of his other films, this one is bit more style over substance. However, I think the slick production and editing, along with the likeable characters, makes this an overall entertaining experience. 

The plot is a bit formulaic in that two rivals are forced to work as partners in order to stop the the villain's plan. In this particular scenario, it's the 1960's at the height of the coldwar, the villain wants a nuclear warhead, and our unlikely team is the CIA's top agent (played by Cavill) and Russia's top KGB agent (played by Hammer). Also thrown into the mix is German woman named Gaby (played by Vikander) who's father is a former Nazi scientist, and the man who's nuclear weapons research is so valuable.

Overall, I like the three lead actors, I think the film is pretty well paced with a few little twists along the way, the musical score is solid... it's a fun movie in my opinion. Not great, but fun.
3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment