Sunday, February 23, 2020

Today's Movie: Skiptrace


Released in 2016, Skiptrace is a movie that I thought would be right up my alley. I like Jackie Chan, I like Johnny Knoxville, and I like action-comedies but, unfortunately, this film just doesn't put those elements together in a particularly entertaining way. 

The film follows a very clichéd formula; Jackie Chan plays a cop who has been trying for years to catch the man who killed his former partner. Johnny Knoxville's character is wisecracking conman who has stumbled upon a valuable piece of evidence that Chan needs. So, together this duo must reluctantly work together to take down a crime syndicate. Oh, and of course they get themselves caught up in all sort wacky situations along the way.

 I wasn't expecting a lot out of this one, it was after all directed by Renny Harlin who has been nominated for five Golden Raspberry Awards for Worst Director during his career. However, I was hoping Chan and Knoxville would each bring enough energy and comedy to make up for any script or directing issues. Unfortunately, though there are a few good moments, the film never really seems to kick into gear. 
I give Skiptrace a 1.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment