Saturday, January 7, 2017

10 James Stewart Movies Everyone Should See


There aren't many actors that have filmagraphy that boast as many great films as James Stewart. I've previously written list like this about Sean Connery, John Travolta, Alfred Hitchcock, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tom Hanks, and Chuck Norris, and easy part in creating this particular list was that I had so many quality films to choose from. Anyone who frequents this blog or has talked with me about movies knows I'm a huge fan of James Stewart and, unfortunately, there were so many good choices that I had to leave a lot of films that I really enjoy off of the list. Like all previous entries this isn’t necessarily a ‘Top 10’ but rather a list of films that is both some of my personal favorites and that I think best represent the person’s career.


#10 Rope -1948
"... You've murdered! You choked the life out of a fellow human being who could live and love as you never could, and never will again!"

You're going to find a couple of James Stewart-Alfred Hitchcock collaborations on this list, but that's bound to happen when an on-screen legend and one of cinemas best directors work together on a handful of films. This one is about two college friends who commit a murder just to see if they can get away with it. It's a simple plot done so well that it is, in my opinion, one of the great psychological-thrillers.


#9 The Spirit of St. Louis -1957
"The idea of committing suicide never crossed my mind except when I took this cigar"

There probably wasn't anyone more fit to play American icon Charles Lindbergh, than perhaps the greatest 'American every man' actor James Stewart. This biographical film focuses on the time leading up to Lindbergh's historic trans-Atlantic flight, as well as the flight itself. And even as someone with very little interest in aviation history, I still think this is a really interesting and entertaining movie.

 
#8 The Stratton Story -1949
 "I'm through gambling. Well, I found out what it's like to lose, and what it's like to win. Why keep at it?" 

This is one of my favorite Baseball movies (maybe I'll write a piece on all of those sometime). Stewart plays Monte Stratton, and it's the true story of a pitcher for the Chicago White Sox in the 30's who has his leg amputated after accidentally shooting himself in an offseason hunting accident, but against all odds plays ball again. It's a great film.


#7 The Man from Laramie -1955
"I figure this place owes me somethin' and I'm gonna make it pay" 

 James Stewart was in a number of Westerns over the course of his career, but while some of his most famous ones How the West was Won and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance are both really good films, they also starred Western legend John Wayne. This one is 100% a James Stewart picture and I honestly think it's just as good.


#6 The Shop Around the Corner -1940

"I think people who like to smoke candy and listen to cigarettes will love it"

I'm not usually the biggest fan of romantic-comedies but this film about two shop employees that can barely stand each other but, without realizing it, are falling in love through letters as eachother's anonymous pen pal is a really fun movie. Both James Stewart and Margret Sullavan are really good, and Felix Bressart cracks me up.


#5 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington -1939
"...You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked. Well I'm not licked. And I'm gonna stay right here and fight for this lost cause. Even if this room gets filled with lies like these. And the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place. Somebody will listen to me" 

What can I say about this one? It's an all-time classic, well written, well directed, the whole package... but most of all, and this isn't something I claim very often, this is an important movie. On the surface it's just a film about an idealistic young Senator who goes to Washington D.C. and learns about corruption. It's both inspirational and cynical in many ways. I first saw it in school as a kid and, even though it's not always easy to get kids to sit and watch a black & white movie about government, I think it's something everyone should see at least once.


#4 Rear Window -1954
"...she didn't know she was going on a trip and where she was going she wouldn't need any luggage"

Look on any Alfred Hitchcock or James Stewart "Best of" list and you'll find this one near the top, it's a masterpiece. Stewart plays a photographer who, because of a broken leg, is confined to his apartment for a bit. So, he spends his days curiously watching his neighbors through his back window, but things get really interesting when he suspects one of those neighbors of being a murderer. It's a must-see especially if you like really suspenseful movies


#3 It's a Wonderful Life -1946
"What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word, and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down"

This one also made a 10 Christmas movies everyone should see list I wrote (you can check out that article here) and it's not just a great Christmas movie or just a great James Stewart movie, it's one of the all-time great films period.


#2 Harvey -1950

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say...'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

Harvey is not the most critically acclaimed film on this list but, for me, it couldn't come in any lower than the #2 slot. Stewart is fantastic as Elwood Dowd, one of my all-time favorite characters across film history. There are very few actors that can play a man who's best friend is an invisible 6'-3 1/2" tall rabbit and still come off so genuine and sincere that you find yourself thinking that the people who don't believe in Harvey the rabbit are the one's with a problem.


#1 Vertigo -1958
"You shouldn't keep souvenirs of a killing. You shouldn't have been that sentimental."

I could go on and on about this one, but I'll keep it simple and if you want more check out a piece I wrote called "The Greatness of Vertigo". This is one of those films and performances where everything works and, no matter how many times I've seen it, the movie always sucks me in.


Honorable Mentions: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) , The FBI Story (1959), Broken Arrow(1950), Bell Book and Candle (1958), The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991)


Have a suggestion for the next '10 Movies Everyone Should See' list?
Leave it in the comments below and, if you enjoyed this, please share this post on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+

1 comment:

  1. All great films, Jimmy never gave a bad performance that I'm aware of, but I think maybe his best was in Vertigo.

    ReplyDelete