Friday, January 6, 2017

La La Land (2016)




La La Land is the recently released musical starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. This was one of those films that I didn't necessarily have high expectations for, but I was looking forward to checking it out for sure.

 So, is it any good?

Well, it does come off a little bit of a pretentious a few times. That's not to say the movie isn't bad by any stretch, I actually really liked it but, there are moments when the songs and 'artistic vision' seems to take precedent over plot. It's a tricky balance that very few musicals walk flawlessly. The film contains a pretty basic story that you've seen before, you know where it's going, and there is a fair amount of romantic-comedy fluff.  However, I found myself willing to forgive some of those tired plot points because Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling both give such solid performances. Both of the main characters are likeable, and they do seem to have good on-screen chemistry. I thought the first 10-15mins or so were by far the weakest part of the film, but it gets on track pretty quick.

The song sequences are good, for the most part, and there's definitely a tune or two you'll probably find yourself humming as you leave the theater. The "A Lovely Night" scene in particular was one of the highlights of the movie for me. The cinematography throughout is solid and there are a few really outstanding moments.

Overall, I found it very entertaining. I don't think it's one of the all-time great musicals but, if you generally like that type of film, I say check it out.
I give this one a 4 out of 5.


Have a suggestion for a review?
Leave it in the comments below.



No comments:

Post a Comment