Saturday, January 28, 2017

Ranking the X-Men Movies



 Well, it seems like the time has come to rank the X-Men movies. I've always loved the X-Men characters in the comics but, I find the films in this franchise to range from pretty good superhero movies at best, to barely watchable at worst. Now, I'm going to keep this to just the six films featuring the the actual X-Men team. So, spinoffs like the Wolverine solo movies and Deadpool aren't on this one. It's an interesting collection of films to compare because the films are also notorious for plot holes and continuity issues. That being said, here's how I rank them:

#6 X-Men: First Class (2011)

This was the first film to back track and show the formation of the X-Men many years prior to the events of 2000's X-Men film. Unfortunately, as with many prequels, this would start opening up plot holes and start really screwing with the continuity of the franchise.


#5 X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

There are moments in this one that were enjoyable but, overall, I didn't like the film. As with the two films in the franchise that proceeded this one, I'm not a fan of a lot of the cast and many of the effects are sub-par. Plus, the plot is all over the place.


#4 X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

It was close between the #3 and #4 selections, because I think both films are kind of a mixed-bag. However, the boring plot and the fact that I like the original cast better lead to this one falling to the #4 spot. Also, while having Hugh Jackman back is a plus, it kinda gets canceled out by having Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique being a main character again.


#3 X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)

This one I think is often regarded as a much worse movie than it actually is. There are some dumb moments and some of the characters introduced in it just don't work (for example: Juggernaut was horrendous). On the other hand, I thought Kelsey Grammer as Beast was a good choice. It's still watchable.


#2 X2: X-Men United (2003)

 This was a good follow up to the original, and in some ways was the superior movie. It's fun and there is some decent action. It's not my favorite, but it's several notches above all of the previously listed film on this list.


#1 X-Men (2000)

 To me the original did it the best. It's not a perfect film but I thought the cast was solid, the plot was straight-forward, it kept me entertained throughout, and I think it's the most rewatchable of the bunch.


Have a suggestion for a review or a film franchise ranking?
Leave it in the comments below.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, gotta disagree here. Days of Future Past is super entertaining for me. It fixed a lot of the continuity since it re-set the franchise and gave us an apocalyptic scene that no other movie in the franchise has given us. Maybe I'm just mad at how Anna P. Ruined my favorite X-Men character

    ReplyDelete