Tuesday, January 3, 2017

There Will Be Blood (2007)


Up until now I hadn't rewatched this film since originally going to see it in theaters and I had largely forgotten exactly why I liked it. I just sort of remembered it as being a good movie, but it didn't take long for it all to come back to me.

The plot is about a silver miner turned 'oil-man' named Daniel Plainview. He starts his own drilling company, but one day after striking oil, one of his workers dies in an accident and Daniel adopts the man's orphaned son.A few years later, Daniel is approached by a man named Paul, who tells him of an oil deposit under his family's property in California. Daniel quickly goes to work on acquiring all the available land and neighboring farms in the area, and soon oil drilling begins. There are a number of obstacles that get in the way, including an accident that leaves Daniel's adopted son deaf, and tension between Daniel and the small town's pastor Eli.
That's the basic setup and this is one of those films that, even if the plot doesn't sound all that interesting to you, Daniel Day-Lewis' performance alone is reason enough to check it out, because he knocks it out of the park. In addition, the cinematography is top-notch, it's well written, and I think it's a pretty compelling story. This probably isn't a movie everyone will get into but, if sounds interesting to you, I highly recommend it.

I give this one a 4.5 out of 5.


Have a suggestion for a review?
Leave it in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment