Thursday, October 11, 2018

Medicine Man


Following the success of Predator, Die Hard, and The Hunt for Red October, 1992's Medicine Man was a bit of an odd choice for Director John McTiernan. It didn't do well with critics and it barely broke even at the box office. I personally have gone back and forth on this one over the years. It's far from a perfect movie, but there are enough things I like about it that I have rewatched it multiple times.

First off, I think the core premise is compelling: A scientist living in the rain forest discovers a cure cancer, but for some reason he can't seem to replicant the serum. Additionally, I think Sean Connery is good in the movie, and the musical score by Jerry Goldsmith is solid.
On the opposite end of things, I think Lorraine Bracco was a bad casting choice, it's not particularly well-written, and it feels about 15-20 minutes too long. 
With some minor changes this could've been a really good movie but, as is, it's just ok. 

If you're a big Connery fan like myself, then you'll probably be entertained. Otherwise... well, it's a 26 year old movie that most people have either never seen or forgotten about, so you can probably skip it.

I give it a 2.5 out of 5


For some movies that you shouldn't skip, check out '10 Sean Connery Movies Everyone Should See' 

No comments:

Post a Comment