Friday, October 19, 2018

The Conspirator


The Conspirator is a 2010, American Civil War era, courtroom drama Directed by Robert Redford. It follows the trial of Mary Surratt, a widow who owned a boarding house and was accused of being connected to the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln. There's a lot to like about this movie but it isn't without some notable faults. Now, as always, I'm taking the movie at face value and ignoring any historical inaccuracies because;
 A) This is a movie review.
-and-
B) I don't like doing research.

Where it works: 
I think it's a well made,and mostly well acted film. Even though I'm not a big James McAvoy fan, I though he was solid in this film. Also, this isn't one of those historical stories that's been done a million times. Sure, the death of Lincoln has been done a lot but not so much the trials afterwards (at least not that I've seen) so I was intrigued throughout.

Where it doesn't:
Despite having a solid starring cast and Redford directing, the film did give me a bit of a TV-movie vibe. It's paced a little oddly; slow and methodical overall, but yet breezing though some of the story's more interesting details. Also, even though he's not in it much, whenever Justin Long would enter a scene it would completely take me out of the movie. I just think that was a bad casting choice.

Overall, The Conspirator isn't the best or most tense of courtroom dramas and it isn't a film that I see myself re-watching over and over again, but I still found it entertaining enough. I wouldn't recommend this movie to everyone, but it's worth a watch for any history buffs out there.
2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment