Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Ranking the 'Saw' Movies


I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the horror genre. Psycho from 1960 is my favorite film of all-time and I love all of the old classics Dracula(1931), Frankenstein(1931), The Mummy (1932) The Wolf Man(1941), Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954), etc. However, I don't get into a lot of modern horror flicks and when I do it's usually some low-budget, direct to video, schlock I come across on Amazon Prime Video or Netflix that I can get a few laughs out of. That's what makes the Saw series unique for me. It's a modern horror franchise that, for the most part, I enjoy. I wouldn't call any of the films great, but most of them are good enough. So, here is how I rank the Saw films:


#8 Jigsaw (2017)
This one is pretty bad. I watched all of the films in the franchise in the theater and this is the only one that I seriously considered walking out on.

#7 Saw 3D (2010)
I like the 'Saw' films, but this is one of the weakest ones in the franchise. The Jigsaw traps aren't very clever and the plot feels lazy.


#6 Saw VI (2009)
This one isn't awful, it's just kind of forgettable.

#5 Saw V (2008)
This is entertaining enough to watch at least once. However, it is a weaker entry in the Saw series 

#4 Saw II (2005)
It's a pretty good follow-up to the original. Having 8 people involved in one Jigsaw game was an interesting idea, but it wasn't as unnerving as some of the individualized ones from other films in the series. 

#3 Saw III (2006)
This isn't my favorite but it's a solid entry in the series. It's an intense movie with an ending I really like, so I can excuse the overuse of flashbacks.

#2 Saw IV (2007)
I think this is one of the most entertaining in the series and I prefer it over Saw II or III.

#1 Saw (2004)
This is one of those movies that I've seen a number of times and my eyes are still glued to the screen every time I watch it. I enjoy the entire Saw series, but this first one is definitely my favorite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment